THE DUNTROON HALL
The facility is commonly used for weddings, buck n’ does, reunions, birthdays, and the most notorious chicken races!
This facility, at over 8000 square feet, is the largest of its kind within the Township. With two bowling lanes, playground and large outdoor space, this hall is the ideal location for your next buck-and-doe, wedding, birthday party, anniversary celebration, Christmas gathering or family reunion.
Hauled overland by a flotilla of livestock trucks and hay wagons drawn by farm tractors, community members of old Nottawasaga Township brought home to their “capital” the building that would become the new centre for their municipal government and the community’s main gathering place. These volunteers and many more disassembled this former military drill hall in Base Borden, and then pieced it back together at the edge of Duntroon’s historic 5-acre Islay Park.
Six decades later, The Duntroon Hall’s walls still reverberate with the great sounds of square dances, buck-and-does, weddings, family reunions, bowling parties, concerts, trivia nights, and the like.
Rental Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
MEET THE TEAM
The Duntroon Hall alike other halls in the township is 100% volunteer run. We thank all of our dedicated volunteers who have kept the hall going! If you are interested in becoming a ‘haullenteer’ message us on facebook. The Duntroon Hall alike other halls in the township is 100% volunteer run. We thank all of our dedicated volunteers who have kept the hall going! If you are interested in becoming a ‘haullenteer’ message us on facebook.
CHAIR: GORD KEMP
VICE CHAIR: MONICA SCOTT TREASURERMARY ARMSTRONG
HALL BOARD DIRECTORS
DAVID CULHAM MARK FISHER
ROZ ST. CLAIR
The Town of Duntroon• established in 1834 as the first settlement in Nottawasaga Township • has been known by several names: McNabb’s Corners, Scotch Corners, Bowmore (Gaelic for ‘great sea reefor sea rock’), then in the 1860’s as Duntroon. • Bowmore was an earlier name for the village of Duntroon, Ontario, in reference to the administrative capital of the Isle of Islay, Scotland, from which many of the first European settlers came in the early 1800’s. Bowmore (Scotland) is famous for its scotch whiskey distillery of the same name, and is home to The Bowmore Round Church, reputedly so shaped in order that the Devil could not hide in the corners. The name Duntroon, applied to the village in the last half of the 1800’s, was derived from Duntrune Castle, 60km to the north-east of Bowmore, the longest continuously inhabited castle in Scotland, dating to the 12thCentury and home to the ghost of a handless bagpiper. • Duntroon was the seat of Nottawasaga’s government for approximately 150 years until 1993 and the Clearview Township amalgamation Islay Park (beside the hall) • began in 1934 as a centre for baseball and the 100thanniversary celebrations of Nottawasaga • in 1935 the land was formerly donated by the McDermid family to the Duntroon Women’s Institute, who in 2002 provided it to Clearview Township who now maintain the grounds • a clause in the deed states: “… the said lands are to be used solely for the use and benefit of the people of the Community of Duntroon and vicinity” • the trees were planted by school children and volunteers in the late 1930’’ • the park equipment and facilities are the result of the volunteer work of the Duntroon Recreation Committee • for many years the park was the centre of activity for a thriving community baseball league The Duntroon Hall (also known as the Nottawasaga Community Hall) • opened on June 30th, 1955, the building is a relocated drill hall originally from Camp Borden • the hall was moved and finished by area volunteers, with the early fundraising dinners being held on a earth floor in the lower level • it is the third hall to be built in Duntroon for community events, preceded by the Town Hall (1857-1900), and the Sons of Scotland Hall which was located across the street • the largest and busiest of Clearview’s community halls, with usage averaging approximately 260 times per year • while owned by the Clearview Township, the hall is run by community volunteers • current uses include: weddings, buck-and-does, bowling league, square dancing club, line dancing lessons, anniversary and birthday parties, meetings, courses, funeral luncheons, family Christmas dinners, company Christmas parties, school graduations, community plays